Category: German Bundesliga

Jupp Heynckes yet to sign new deal with Bayern Munich

Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes has indicated he is yet to pen a new deal with the defending Bundesliga champions.

Heynckes, 72, returned for his fourth spell in charge of Bayern in what was supposed to be a short-term deal that will expire at the end of the season after Paris Saint-Germain had inflicted a 3-0 Champions League defeat on Bayern, then still under Carlo Ancelotti’s leadership.

Besides lacklustre performances in Europe, Bayern also flopped domestically — they were third in the Bundesliga, trailing behind then leaders Borussia Dortmund by three points.

However, since the Bayern board sacked Ancelotti and appointed Heynckes, Bayern have won nine out of 11 matches in all competitions —  only dropping points against Borussia Monchengladbach, and drawing with RB Leipzig in the DFB-Pokal before advancing on penalties.

The Bavarians even top the league table by six points and have booked their place in the Champions League knockout stages, and the streak would have been cause for many to assume that Heynckes would be re-appointed on a permanent basis.

But despite the progress made under Heynckes he remains without an official contract with the club, though — as Heynckes puts it —  it was because he hasn’t found the opportunity to put pen to paper.

Speaking to fan club Rollwagerl 93 on Sunday, he said: “We don’t have a contract yet. Mr Dreesen [Bayern’s finance CEO] always urges me to come around to sign my contract. But I haven’t had time so far.”

Bayern would play Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League mid-week; though the fixture would be a largely inconsequential one as both teams had already made it into the knockout stages, Bayern could look to avenge their earlier humiliation and assert their European credentials while Paris looks to end the group stage with a 100% performance for the first time.

RB Leipzig rally to deny Dortmund 100% record in Bundesliga

RB Leipzig came from behind to win 3-2 and deny Borussia Dortmund an unbeaten start to their Bundesliga season, with both sides having a man sent off in the second half.

The entertaining match at Westfalenstadion also marked an end to Dortmund’s 41-game unbeaten streak at home in the Bundesliga, and began with a goal from the German top flight’s current top scorer Pierre Emerick Aubameyang after just four minutes.

The Gabon international stole the ball off Stefan Ilsanker for break, and had no trouble in slotting it into the far corner for his first goal. However, Leipzig struck back through Marcel Sabitzer, and Yussuf Poulsen  gave Leipzig the Bulls lead before half-time.

Dortmund’s Sokratis Papastathopoulos was then sent off shortly after the break and Jean-Kevin Augustin extended Leipzig’s lead from the penalty spot, before the visitors also went down to ten-men after Stefan Ilsanker received a second yellow card in the 56th minute.

Nonetheless, while Aubameyang managed to pull a goal back for Dortmund shortly afterwards by converting a VAR-approved penalty, the skipper could not find the net again even as Dortmund threw everything at the visitors in the closing stages in an attempt to preserve their unbeaten run.

Although Peter Bosz’s team would remain top of the table following the first breach of the Yellow Wall since April 2015 —when Jurgen Klopp was still in charge — their lead was now cut to two points by Bayern Munich, who thrashed Freiburg 5-0 in Jupp Heynckes’ first game in charge as manager.

It was also clear that Bosz was not happy with his team’s performance.

“We played too many backwards balls — that is not our game — and we defended badly,” the Dutchman said after the match. “We had a lot of trouble with Leipzig’s pressing, particularly in the first half. We tried to change that in the second half but then we went 3-1 behind and the red card happened.”

Meanwhile, RB Leipzig — runners up to Bayern last season — move up to third in the table, three points off top spot.

Borussia Dortmund maintains suspension on Ousmane Dembele

Borussia Dortmund has suspended Ousmane Dembele from playing indefinitely “until further notice” on Sunday for skipping training.

Dembele, who is linked with a possible move to FC Barcelona, was initially fined and suspended until Monday for missing Thursday’s training before having his sentence being extended indefinitely.

“Borussia Dortmund have decided to maintain the player Ousmane Dembele’s suspension from team training until further notice,” the Bundesliga outfit said in a statement.

Dortmund, who had reportedly met with Barca’s representatives in the negotiation for a deal, announced that they had rejected opening offer for the France international on the same day they announced Dembele’s initial ban.

The Bundesliga club said that FC Barcelona’s offer did not met their valuation of the player.

“Our focus is now on a concentrated preparation of the team for the Bundesliga opening match in Wolfsburg this coming weekend,” Dortmund’s sporting director Michael Zorc said in a statement. “Ousmane Dembele of course has the option to train separately from the group.”

Dembele, 20, is considered one of the top talents in Europe, has been hotly pursued by the Spanish giants to fill the void left by Neymar’s move to Paris Saint-Germain for a world-record 222 million euros ($260 million).

German tabloid Bild reported that Dortmund desire to follow in the footsteps of inflated player prices, by demanding an eye-watering 150 million Euros for their rising star, a price Barca have bristled at.

Dembele himself his made clear he is keen to join the Catalans, and German media have suggested his no-show at training may have been intended to put pressure on the negotiations.