Month: June 2017

Bournemouth seals deals for Nathan Ake and Jermain Defoe

A.F.C. Bournemouth has sealed a deal for the return of Jermain Defoe, and is also on the verge of completing a deal for Chelsea’s Nathan Ake.

Defoe, 34, who scored in a club-record 10 consecutive league games for Bournemouth during a loan spell in 2000-01, has promised to bring goals to the club again.

The England international striker, who rejoins Eddie Howe’s team as a free agent after exercising a relegation release clause in his Sunderland contract, said the decision to sign a three-year deal there had been straightforward.

“It’s great to be back and I’m really looking forward to this challenge,” he said. “When the opportunity came about to return to AFC Bournemouth, I just knew it was the right one. It was an easy decision, joining a top team with a top manager. It’s a great place to be. The Bournemouth fans know that every time I pull the shirt on I will give 100%, and the one thing I can guarantee is goals.”

Eddie Howe – a former team-mate of Defoe in his time with Bournemouth — was delighted to have got his man. However, Bournemouth will invest heavily in Defoe’s wages even as the club is on the verge of another huge signing in Chelsea’s Nathan Ake.

Nathan Ake could rejoin Bournemouth after a brief loan spell with the club.

Ake is expected to sign a five-year contract for a club record 20 million Pound transfer from the Premier League champions inside the next 48 hours. The Dutchman spent the first half of last season on loan at Bournemouth and was able to made an impact under Howe, and was disappointed when Chelsea recalled the defender in January but left on the sidelines.

While it remains that the Blues does not have any desire to sell their player, Ake attracted plenty of admirers within the club because of his exemplary attitude as well as his talent, with the Dutchman also desperate to play regular first-team football — something that Chelsea could not guarantee.

But if the deal is completed, Ake will become the second player to swap Chelsea for Bournemouth this summer, with Asmir Begovic agreeing a long-term contract with the south coast club at the end of May.

Manchester United to sign Nemanja Matic from Chelsea

Manchester United could sign midfielder Nemanja Matic from Chelsea as the Red Devils are keen to complete a transfer for the Serbian amounting £40m by the end of this week.

Matic is understood to already have have accepted personal terms and the clubs have agreed a price. The 28-year-old is expected to have a medical soon and could see his wages raised to £155,000 per week.

However, the death of Red Devils manager Jose Mourinho’s father, Felix, on Sunday may slow the transfer. The Portuguese has returned to his hometown in Portugal for the funeral but Matic is expected to sign before the United squad travel to the US for a pre-season tour on 9 July.

Mourinho has previously signed the Serb for £21m in January 2014 when he had been in charge at Chelsea and the player became an integral part of his title-winning side, with Matic’s impressive return to the club he originally joined in August 2009 from the Slovakian side Kosice winning him a place in the 2015 PFA team of the year.

Once the move completes, Matic could make his place in the team as a replacement for Belgian Marouane Fellaini or veteran Michael Carrick. Carrick himself had signed a new one-year contract last month but he will be 36 on 28 July.

While Carrick remains a superior to Matic in range of passes, the latter would still boost United with his strong defensive abilities and experience of English football and make an accomplished return to the Champions League after two years out of the competition.

Meanwhile, Mourinho and United remains in pursuit of Real Madrid’s Alvaro Morata but Real’s own wish to sign United’s goalkeeper David De Gea could potentially resist  any negotiations as the Manchester club have no intention of allowing De Gea to be sold to Real.

 

Juventus releases Manchester City target Dani Alves

Serie A champions Juventus has confirmed that they will be releasing the Brazilian defender Dani Alves from the remaining one year of his contract.

Alves, 34, has only been with the Bianconeri for a year, winning Serie A and reaching the Champions League final.

Speaking to Italian media on Wednesday, Juventus chief executive Beppe Marotta said that Alves had “expressed a desire to try a new experience.”

Manchester City coach Pep Guardiola is known to be amongst those interested in signing the former Brazilian international, with whom he worked with during their time together at FC Barcelona after the Catalan brought him to the club from Sevilla for £23m in 2008.

In addition to wishing him luck in the future, Marotta added that Juventus hopes to reach an amicable “mutual termination” with Dani Alves.

Alves had spent eight seasons at Barcelona, with the first four of those were under Guardiola, a period when the pair shared in two Champions League triumphs and won La Liga on three occasions.

City are currently in need of an experienced right-back after releasing out-of-contract duo Pablo Zabaleta and Bacary Sagna. While signing Alves appears to be a priority at present, Guardiola has also been linked with Tottenham’s Kyle Walker.