Month: May 2017

Bundesliga: Borussia Dortmund part ways with Thomas Tuchel

Thomas Tuchel has left his position as coach of Borussia Dortmund,  after leading Dortmund to victory in the DFB-Pokal final three days ago, has parted company with the club after two seasons in charge.

Dortmund and Tuchel had decided “go their separate ways with immediate effect” was made at a meeting on Tuesday between club chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke, club sporting director Michael Zorc, as well as Tuchel and his agent.

The Dortmund statement read: “We’d like to thank Thomas Tuchel and his coaching team for their successful work at BVB, which culminated in the DFB-Pokal win over Eintracht Frankfurt in Berlin on Saturday. We would like to wish Thomas all the best in his career.”

Dortmund said they would not comment on the reasons behind the split from Tuchel, who still had a year left on his contract. They said it was the “result of a long process”.

Tuchel led Dortmund to a 2-1 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt to win the German DFB-Pokal last Saturday. However, the victory, which earned his only trophy with the club, clearly did not protect Tuchel’s time at the club amidst continued reports of a strained relationship with the board.

Tuchel also confirmed on Twitter on Tuesday that he had left the club.

“I am grateful for two beautiful, eventful and exciting years,” he wrote. “Too bad that it does not go [on]. Thanks to the fans, to the team, to the staff and to all who supported us. Wishes the @BVB all the best. TT.”

The relationship between Tuchel and the club’s hierarchy, in particular Watzke, were openly strained since the bomb attack on the Dortmund coach before their Champions League game with Monaco last month.

The match in Dortmund was postponed and played the following day, with Tuchel making his anger clear over the decision to play the game so soon. While the coach was mostly furious at UEFA over the incident, the  governing body said Dortmund had agreed to the rearrangement of the game, implying that Dortmund’s hierarchy did not run consult the team before assenting to UEFA’s decisions.

Manchester City set to pay world record fee for Benfica keeper Ederson

Manchester City is set to bring Benfica keeper Ederson Moraes to the Premier League for a fee amounting to £34.9m.

Ederson, 23, said he had “probably” played his last game for the club after Sunday’s 2-1 Portuguese Cup final win against Vitoria Guimaraes — a win which saw Benfica wrap up a Portuguese domestic double.

Benfica coach Rui Vitoria said that should a deal for the keeper comes through, Ederson would leave the Portuguese team “with the gratitude of Benfica.”

His performances in the Champions League this season have attracted a number of European top clubs and an international call-up from Brazil, although he has not made his debut for the Canarinho as of yet.

Should the transfer come to pass, the transfer fee for Ederson would break the record once set by the £32.6m paid by Juventus to Parma for Gianluigi Buffon in 2001.

However, City have yet to settle the third-party ownership over Ederson’s economic rights which his former club Rio Ave still owns at 50%. Benfica holds the other half.

The Blues has already shown their intention to sign the Brazilian international by releasing Willy Caballero — their top choice keeper of the season — on a free last Friday.  

After failing to win a single trophy in his debut season as Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola has already made his first move in the summer overhaul of his squad with the £43m signing of Monaco’s Portuguese playmaker Bernardo Silva on Friday.

One of the criticisms against Guardiola’s management was his team’s struggle for consistency between the posts with Claudio Bravo, who was signed from Barcelona last summer, and the departure of Willy Caballero after his contract came to an end. Hence, it is vital for the club that the deal for Ederson comes to fruition.

Chelsea cancels title victory parade after Manchester Arena attack

Chelsea FC has decided to cancel their victory parade after winning their Premier League title following the bomb attack at the Manchester Arena.

The Premier League champions, who made the decision following security advice in the wake of the attack in Manchester, will also will wear black armbands when facing Arsenal in Saturday’s FA Cup final at Wembley.

Chelsea had originally intended to conduct an open-top bus parade in south-west London, but after the government raised the terror threat level to “critical” and consultation with various authorities had opted to cancel it instead.

The Blues added that the parade would be “inappropriate” in light of the tragic events in Manchester. A spokesman for the club said: “We strongly believe, in the interests of everyone, this is the correct course of action.”

“We know the emergency services would have been as professional as ever but we would not want in any way to divert important resources by holding an additional, non-ticketed event on the streets of London.”

“It’s important to show our respect and send our condolences to the families that have been affected in Manchester,” added Chelsea captain Gary Cahill, who also believe that the timing was inappropriate for celebration in the country.

“We’ve all got families, so I can’t imagine how they’re feeling right now. I have lived close to Manchester, it’s a great city, and I’m sure they’ll pull together.

Chelsea’s FA Cup and city rivals Arsenal, who are in search of a third FA Cup win  in four years, have also chose to follow Chelsea’s example.

“Should the team wins Saturday’s FA Cup final at Wembley, we can also confirm that a victory parade will not take place,” they said in a statement. “We did not want to place any additional pressure on police and security services at this time and have been working closely with them ahead of making this decision.”